According to Milindapanha Buddhas are "self-dependent, teacherless, lonely, as one horn of a rhinoceros." (The Manual of Mystic by Woodward. p. 6. Foot Note.)
Buddhas do not acquire spiritual knowledge from any "HUMAN SOURCE" (Romantic History of Buddha by Beal. p. 241.)
"traditional instruction." (Sutta Nipata by Fausboll. p. 177.)
The Buddha Gautama is reported to have said:- "I am not to be taught by any in the world." (Udanavarga by Rockhill. p. 91.)
"Upaka, the naked ascetic" (Mejhima Nikaya by Silacara. p. 153.) asked the Buddha Gautama who his teacher was, the Buddha replied:-
"Self-taught; whom should I master call? That which I know I learned of none, My fellow is not on earth, Of human or of heavenly birth." (Ibid. p. 154.)
Shankaracharya had a spiritual teacher whose name was "Govind Swami." (Bharetyacharitambudhi. p. 453.)
Jesus became enlightend after being baptized of John the Baptist:-
"It came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan. And straight-way coming out of water, he saw the heavens opened, and the spirit like a dove descending upon him: and there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art My beloved son, in whom I am well pleased." (Mark. 1:9-11)
It shall not, therefore, be wrong if we consider John the Baptist the spiritual teacher of Jesus. Jesus called him "more than a prophet." (Matt. 11: 9.) The respect and honour of Jesus for John the Baptist can be very well gathered from the following words of Jesus:-
"Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not arisen a qreater than John the Baptist." (Matt. 11:11)
It is written in the Gospel of Infancy that Jesus hada "SCHOOL-MASTER, ZACCHAES." (The Popular Life of Buddha by Lillie. p. 30.)
Mohammed had no creature for his teacher.
The Koran is explicit on the point:-
"Believed therefore in God and His apostle, the illiterate prophet." (VII. p. 180.)
"Illiterate" is the translation of the Arabic word "Omme," or "Ummi." According to Mr. Mohammed Ali, the translator of the Koran, "the Ummi Prophet Conveys any one of the following three significances, viz.
(1) one who knows not reading or writing;
(2) one from among the Arabs; and
(3) one coming from Mecca. (Foot note. 950.)
The word Ummi is from "Umm" which means "mother." (Javahar-al-lughat. p. 37; and Others.)
Therefore the, word, Ummi, means one who is as "teacherless" as a new born child from his mother's womb.
There is evidence in the Koran that the prophet was unable to read and write before his call:-
"Thou couldst not read any book before this; neither couldst thou write it with thy right hand: then had the gain-sayers (justly) doubted (of the Divine original thereof) ." (XXXIX. p. 391-2.)
There is evidence in the Koran that Mohammed did not receive any help from any creature in composing the Koran:-
(1) "And the unbelievers say, This (Koran) is no other then than a forgery which he hath contrived, and other people have assisted him therein: but they utter an unjust thing and a falaehood." (XXV. p. 353.4)
(2) "We (also) know that they say, Verily a (certain) man teacheth him (to compose the Koran). The tongue of (the person) unto whom they incline, is a foreign (tongue); but this, (wherein the Koran is written,) is the perspicuous Arabic tongue." (XVI. p. 267.)
(3) "But the Jews will not be pleased with thee, neither the Christians, until thou follow their religion: say, The direction of God is the (true) direction. And verily if thou follow their desires, after the knowledge which hath been given thee, thou shalt find no patron or protector against God." (II. p. 18.)
(4) "If thou follow their (Jews', Christians' and of others) desires, after the knowledge which hath been given thee, verily thou wilt become (one) of the ungodly." (II. p. 21)
What is given above is sufficient to refute the view that Mohammed followed the instructions of the Jews or Christians, or other people, in composing the Koran.
In view of what is given above it is clear, that neither Jesus nor Shankaracharya can be the Buddha Maitreya, as they were not teacherless. Mohammed is the Buddha Maitreya for he had no creature for his teacher.
Back To Islam Awareness Homepage
Latest News about Islam and Muslims