The Austrian Government has constitutionally acknowledged Islam as a religion since 1912. Muslims also occupy good positions within the Austrian civil service, and the first mosque was built in the Austrian capital in 1887. In fact, Emperor Franz Joseph had donated a sum of money for the construction of a mosque, but when the First World War broke out the project was cancelled.
The foundation stone for the building of the first Islamic Center in Austria was laid in 1968, and its Trustee Council was formed under the chairmanship of Hassan Al-Tuhamiy, Egypt's ambassador to Austria at the time, who later became secretary-general of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC). In November 1977 the Center was inaugurated and has since been playing an important role in teaching the Muslims in Austria matters related to their religion.